Well, October is here and that means Three Brothers Bakery is in full swing of Breast Cancer Awareness month. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure has come and gone, but I wanted explain why these walks are so important and what their three main purposes are, in my view:
- Raise awareness of the cause,
- Create comradery
- Encourage fundraising.
But so many people forget about the fundraising purpose. So this year we want to encourage fundraising. You can still donate to our team, raise $500 and/or have a $500 donor and we will invite you and a friend and your big donors (and they can bring a friend) to a decorating class in the spring. I am going to tell you up front, I am not giving everyone a T-shirt or a hat; we are going to reward you for your fundraising efforts.
Why do I feel so passionately about this cause? Let me ask you a few more questions and give you just one example.
- Did you know one of the fund recipients provides transportation to people with breast cancer so they can get to their treatment?
- Did you know the Harris County Hospital District has to take into consideration a patient’s transportation availability when planning his or her protocol?
- Can you imagine your cancer treatment is decided based on how many rides you can get to the treatment center?
- For those of you who have had cancer or a loved one with cancer did this thought of transportation even cross your mind?
So the Houston Affiliate of Susan G. Komen provides funds to the American Cancer Society to help facilitate rides for the underserved population. Breast cancer patients are given 20 rides vs. the normal 10 rides for other cancers. I can tell you now that 20 rides is still not enough. In the six years of dealing with the cancer and post cancer treatments I probably went to the med center about 100 times.
This example is just one reason why I ask you to join me this year and donate to the Three Brothers Bakery team. We would be honored for you and your loved ones to be a part of it. Click the link above to donate to our team.